Saturday, June 23, 2012

Review: Morning Star by Desiree Finkbeiner

Many thanks to the author for allowing me the opportunity to read and review her book

Morning Star (Ethos, #1)



Genre
Paranormal Romance
Series
Ethos (Book 1)

Publication Date
March 28th, 2012

Publisher
Hydra Publications

Available At

Format
Ebook







When a mysterious stranger interrupts Brianna’s mundane routine, her eyes are opened to the dark underbelly of reality… immortal rogues, ancient conspiracies, prophetic revelations, savage tribes, mammoth dragonflies… 


She’s thrust into a race for her life when Kalen, a warrior from Ethos, discovers that she is harboring a secret… a secret that he’d give his life to protect. 


There’s just one little problem… they are tempted by a forbidden romance, which threatens to compromise a divinely appointed mission. They are faced with a choice… love eternal, or the end of the world…


Review
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Desiree Finkbeiner created a fabulous world that came to life through bright, vivid imagery. I instantly became lost in the enchanting world of Ethos and can't wait to go back.


The main characters, Bree and Kalen, were definitely likable, perhaps even lovable at some points. I wasn't completely swept away by either of them. One problem that I had was that there was a huge emotional struggle between Kalen and Bree that should have lead up to an intense emotional scene, but I found that scene to be lacking in the intensity that should have been present. I felt that they gave in too easily for such an important struggle. It also seemed that Bree's diction, for the most part, was more old-fashioned than it should have been for a 21 year-old woman living in the 21st century. Bree would comment on Kalen's diction (a lot) but I found that hers matched Kalen's more than it should have (which wasn't a huge problem if she didn't keep ragging on Kalen). But, they were each great characters and although I wasn't completely swept away by them, I could still feel the emotions that Finkbeiner was trying to portray. I must say though, that my favorite character was Athena. Once you read Morning Star, you'll see why. 


I loved the concept that Desiree Finkbeiner introduces to us in Morning Star. She took a popular genre and crafted it to make something that came across as new and refreshing. I was riveted to my seat as each new aspect was produced and I was constantly anxious to see how everything would play out. There were expected twists, but also a lot that weren't expected. Finkbeiner definitely has a knack of keeping up the suspense without drawing it out in unimaginable lengths. I'm ready to dive back into Ethos and begin from where we were left!

4 comments:

  1. I just tagged you to recieve the Liebster Blog Award! Go to http://readbetweenthecovers.blogspot.com
    for details! You deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'm currently reading "Morning Star" and I like the author imagination.
    Nice blog,
    Lucie
    http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the cover on this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tagged you for the Liebster Blog Award, too! LOL. See how loved you are. Check it out.

    http://christierich.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete